News media is full of articles about the Common Core. Below are a few articles that I’ve run across.
- Here is the link to the Common Core State Standards Initiative. From this site you can find the Common Core Standards for Math and English / Language Arts and information about the initiative.
- Here is a link to the Fordham Foundation’s report on the Draft Common Core Math and English Language Arts standards: Review of the Draft K-12 Common Core Standards.
- Here is a link to the Fordham Foundation’s report comparing the Common Core Standards to state standards: The State of State Standards–and the Common Core – in 2010.
- Here is a link to the National Academy of Sciences Board on Science Education’s Conceptual Framework for New Science Education Standards
Opinions on the Common Core
- Sandra Stotsky and Ze’ev Wurman : Why Race to the Middle?
- Sandra Stotsky and Ze’ev Wurman : Common Core’s Standards Still Don’t Make the Grade
- Neal McCluskey of the CATO Institute: Here Come the Federal Education Standards
- Tamar Lewin of the NYTimes: Many States Adopt National Standards for Their Schools
- NYTimes Debate: Will National Standards Improve Education?
- Ze’ev Wurman : Why California Should Not Have Adopted the Common Core
- William J. Mathis, Ph.D., The University of Colorado at Boulder, The Education Policy and Research Unit :Common Core School Standards Roll On Without Supporting Evidence
- Sandra Strotsky on Jay Greene’s Blog : The Ascent of America’s Choice and and Continuing Descent of America’s High Schools
Opinions on the Common Core Mathematics Standards
- James Milgram : Review of Common Core Math Standards
- Barry Garelick of Education News: The Common Core Math Standards: When Understanding is Overrated
- Jonathan Goodman of Education News: A comparison of proposed US Common Core math standard to standards of selected Asian countries.
- Bill Evers and Ze’ev Wurman of The Sacramento Bee: Proposed math standards unteachable
- US Coalition for World Class Math : Comments on the Common Core Math Standards
Opinions on the Common Core Science Standards
- Lindsey Burke in The Heritage Foundation’s The Foundry: The Slippery Slope Toward National Science Standards
The Money In National Standards
- Catherine Gwertz of Education Week : Big Bucks in the World of Common Standards, Tests
- Here is a Link to the ESEA Blueprint for Reform
- Leonie Haimson & Julie Woestehoff of Education Week: Shutting Out Parents – Obama’s Disappointing Blueprint for Reform