Former PWC School Board member Julie Lucas has been appointed to serve on the Governor elect’s K–12 education workgroup transition team. The group is supposed to advise the Governor-elect on education issues in the commonwealth and make recommendations about education policy in the state.
Julie will be serving on the work group along with Chairman Johns. We wish both Julie and Milt luck in this endeavor and hope that they recognize that the issues which have plagued Prince William County for the past several years are happening across the state and need to be addressed at the state level.
Those issues include:
- Selecting and implementing the new national academic standards for Math and English in Virginia schools;
- Removing calculators from elementary school standards and curricula, and reducing student dependence on technology;
- Giving parents a choice in how their children are taught various topics and with what materials;
- Improving the academic standards for teachers to qualify, especially in mathematics and science; and,
- Enforcing state rules and regulations which apply to local school districts.