In it’s report, Tackling the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) Crisis, the National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ) sets forth five steps each state can take to improve the quality of it’s K-12 math and science teachers.
Those steps include the following:
- Raise the standards for what it takes to get into an education school.
- Improve the quality of undergraduate preparation.
- Recognize the need for creative and diverse solutions.
- Send qualified teachers to the schools that need them most.
- Remember that it’s the K-12 system which produces the next generation of K-12 STEM teachers.
The report is a quick and easy read and provides food for thought on why math education in VA is slipping.